How to install the ezCAN for BMW K1600
This is a step by step guide to installing the HEX ezCAN (Generation 1 and 2) on BMW K1600 series bikes.
K1600GT – K48
K1600GTL – K48
K1600GTL – K48
K1600 Bagger – K61
S1000XR – K49
S1000XR – K69
F750GS – K80
F850GS – K81
F850GS Adv – K82
F900XR – K84
Gen ll Device: 76mm (2,9″) long Silver Tube in Black Packaging
- 1 x ezCAN Device
- 1 x Micro USB Cable
- 2 x Velcro Strips
- 2 x Blanking Plugs
- 4 x Cable Ties
- 4 x Two-wire stub connectors (Orange)
- 4 x Terminal wires (Orange)
- 4 x Blanking seals
DOWNLOAD, INSTALL & CONFIGURE THE SOFTWARE
Watch a complete installation video here, or follow the step-by-step guide below.
INSTALL THE ezCAN
UNDER THE SEAT
You can secure the ezCAN with the velcro strips provided after the accessories have been plugged in.
Important notice: If you can’t find the seat- you’re in trouble!
ROUTE AND CONNECT THE BATTERY WIRES
The battery is located under the front seat. Route both the ezCAN power supply cables forward, along the motorcycle’s rear sub-frame, to the battery. Disconnect the battery wiring harness terminals from the battery and connect the ezCAN wires to the battery before re-connecting the factory wires.
IMPORTANT NOTE: First, unplug the battery negative wire and only attach it at the end again. This is good practice whenever you work on your bike’s electronics.
PLUG THE ezCAN INTO CAN-BUS
- If your bike has a DWA, that is, ‘anti-theft alarm system’, you will see the DWA module in the small compartment under the rear half of the seat, in front of the taillight. Note the wiring harness plug connected to the module.
- Start by unplugging the CAN-Bus connector from the DWA control unit.
- The HEX ezCAN has two CAN-Bus connectors. Plug the male HEX ezCAN terminal into the CAN-Bus wiring harness and plug the female HEX ezCAN terminal into the DWA Control unit.
If your K1600 does not have a DWA system, the end of the wiring harness plug will be covered by a plastic blanking plug containing an alarm-terminating resistor.
- Start by unplugging the cap from the DWA connector plug.
- Plug the male HEX ezCAN terminal into the CAN-Bus connector.
- Replace the cap on the female HEX ezCAN terminal.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Both the male and female ezCAN CAN-Bus terminals must be connected correctly. Do not connect to any other component or to any other part of the motorcycle’s wiring harness. If you do, the ezCAN will not function.
CONNECT ACCESSORIES USING COLOUR CODING
The HEX ezCAN kit includes four two stub connectors (Orange) with male connection terminals. The stub connectors are made up of the following types:
– 4 x Two wire stub connectors (Orange)
– 4 x Terminal Wires (Orange)
– 4 x Blanking seals
If your auxiliary lights have three wires change the two-wire stub connector into a three-wire see the image below. If your auxiliary lights have two wires use the two-wire stub connectors for accessories that have power and ground wires only.
If you are not going to use one or more of the circuit functions it is recommended that you install a blanking plug over the unused output. The HEX ezCAN product contains two blanking plugs.
Insert blanking seal to use as a two-wire stub connector
Insert terminal wire to use as a three-wire stub connector
Connect the terminals of the high-power stub connectors to the correct female terminals on the ezCAN.
Connect the spotlight’s ground wire to the ground wire of the stub connector.
If you are installing spotlights equipped with a third wire for light-intensity control, connect the spotlight control wire to the control wire of the stub connector. If the spotlight only has two wires, use the two wire stub connectors.
If you received four different coloured wires, please note the colour-coding on the output wires must match the colours in the output configuration you select from the HEX ezCAN circuit function software. Red to red, yellow to yellow, etc. Black wire is Battery Negative and the Red, Blue,Yellow and White are the Positive Supply.
MAKING THE INSTALLATION EASIER WITH THE ezCAN Extension Kit for BMW/ Harley Davidson/ KTM Bikes
The HEX ezCAN Extension Kit provides you with everything that you need to connect your front auxiliary lights, brake lights and horn to the ezCAN, with additional connectors to facilitate other accessories.
The kit contains:
- 2 x 1.5m 3-core extension cables (typically used for 2-wire or 3wire front accessory lights)
- 1 x 0.5m 3-core extension cable (typically used for brake lights)
- 1 x 1.5m 2-core extension cable with spade connectors on one end (typically used to connect air horns or other 2-wire accessories)
- 3 x female MT-3 connector kit including pins and wire seals
- 5 x male MT-3 connector kit including pins and wire seals
- 5 x blanking seals (where only 2 terminals are used in a 3-wire connector)
- 6 x 20mm adhesive lined Heat-shrink
- 2 x female spade connector terminals (6.3mm)
- 1m Sheathing
TEST THE INSTALLATION
Most newly installed accessories can be tested simply with the ignition “ON”, but some brake functions will require the bike to be in motion and traveling above a certain speed. For example, emergency braking requires deceleration of more than 21km/h/s (kilometres per hour per second).
SAFETY NOTICE: Test and check your installations and accessories in a safe, controlled environment. Caution is advised at all times. Extra vigilance is required when testing new features or accessories. You do so at your own risk.
DISCLAIMER: HEX ezCAN is not liable for any injury or damage howsoever caused and all products and services are used at your own risk.